The company named Mashin Shokai was located in lwaimachi Kaigan-Dori Street. It was dealing with various industrial machinery equipment and general ships stores since 1892. The owner of the company imported the crane, shown in the photo-graph, from Rhudon & Co.,Ltd. (Phonetic) of England and installed onto the private wharf of Mitsubishi Co., Ltd. for lifting the booty of war in 1894 and 1895 at the request of Moji Armoury Headquarter. It was one of the new facilities in the early stage of modernization of Moji harbour.
 
       CRANE - MASHIN SHOKAI
 
The photo joined to is the front door of old Mashin Shokai's Dalian Branch in China, which was opened in 1938.
The company had been dealing with marine stores and paints in the port of Dalian.
 
 
 
Old Mashin Shokai's Dalian Branch in China
 
During the World War Two, the War Time Economic Control Law was put in force under the guidance of Japanese Government Transportation Bureau, by which all Japanese marine supply businesses were joinedto form a single distribution company by area to carry out war time supply activities. The photo on the right shows the company's Moji head office before the World War Two, which was burnt down by the U.S. air-raid during the war. 
 
Moji Office burnt down by the air-raid in WWⅡ
 
The photo on the right shows the wooden building of the former Moji head office which was built in the ruins of the destruction in World War Two. It was used until after other port offices ( Wakamatsu, Fukuoka, Kobe and Yokohama ) were built during 1948 through 1966 to cope with the post war economic recovery.
 
 
 
Moji Office built in the ruins right after WWⅡ
 
 
The Port of Moji was opened in 1889 when it was designated as an export port. It grew into the Japan's gateway to the Asian Continent after a series of harbor construction projects lasting until around 1930. At one time it was thriving with the greatest number of ships calls; surpassing the port of Kobe. However, because of rapid changes in sea, land and air transporation in Japan since the 1970, it was overtaken as a trading port by the city's other district that harbors a container terminal. With the rehabilitation of histrical buildings the area has been reborn as a small sight-seeing spot: Retro-Moji Port.
 
Retro-Moji Port
 
"The photo shows "Daiichi Funadamari" (or "Barge Basin One"), one of the several barge basins that the Port of Moji had in the old days, where there were approximate 1,200 barges operated, at their peak in 1955 for the transportation of cargoes to vessels loading and discharging in the port.
 
Barge Basin One
Twilight at Kanmon Strait( photo by mojiko.com )